Lightly Pickled Summer Beet Salad
- prep time23 min
- total time 63 min
- serves 4
Courtesy of Chef Chris Whittaker of Forage.
4 small red beets, scrubbed clean
4 small chioggia beets, scrubbed clean
6 medium gold beets, scrubbed clean
15 each whole cloves
6 each bay leaves
15 each black peppercorns
2 Tbsp mustard seeds
9 Tbsp salt
½ cup sugar
10 clove garlic
8 sprig fresh thyme
¾ cup white wine vinegar
1 L waterRemaining 2 Gold Beets
2 medium gold beets
¼ cup soft goat cheese
salt, to tasteBlack Pepper Hazelnut Praline
½ cup roasted hazelnuts
¼ cup sugar
1 Tbsp black pepper
1. Place all ingredients except beets in pot and bring to boil.
2. Divide brine into 3 parts and cook the 3 types of beets (reserve two of the gold beets) separately so the colours do not run into each other. Allow beets to cook in the brine on low heat until a knife can be pulled from the beet easily.
3. Allow to cool and refrigerate in the brine overnight.
4. Remove from brine, peel and cut into quarters or slices - use your artistic imagination!Remaining 2 Gold Beets
1. In a 400ºF oven, roast the beets until a knife can be inserted and pulled out easily (about 20 minutes).
2. Remove beets and peel when cool enough to handle. Place in blender with goat cheese and blend until very smooth.Black Pepper Hazelnut Praline
1. Over medium heat, caramelize sugar until it turns amber.
2. Remove from heat and carefully stir in hazelnuts and black pepper.
3. Transfer to parchment paper lined tray and allow to cool completely. Place food processor and break up until crumble consistency.
4. For presentation: Place gold beet purée on bottom of plate and arrange beets on top of purée. Garnish with additional goat cheese crumbled on top and hazelnut praline. If you have any seasonal greens such as watercress or arugula, arrange on top for additional shot of green on the plate.