Lightly Toasted Overnight Steel-Cut Oatmeal with Honey-Roasted Apricots and Pistachios
- prep time25 min
- total time 55 min
- serves 4 - 6
This healthy dish is a great way to start the day full of nutrients and energy.
2 cups steel-cut Irish oats
¼ tsp fine sea salt
8 ripe but still firm apricots, pitted and quartered
½ cup apricot nectar
¼ cup clover honey
4 whole cloves
2 cinnamon sticks
1 cup warm milk
3/4 cup shelled pistachios, toasted and chopped
Rose water, for drizzling, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 300ºF.
2. Spread the oats on a baking sheet in an even layer and bake, stirring occasionally, until lightly toasted, about 15 minutes.
3. In a large pot, bring 8 cups of water and the sea salt to a boil. Stir in the toasted oatmeal and cook for 1 minute. Cover the pot tightly and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
4. The next morning, preheat the oven to 350ºF.
5. Put the apricot quarters in a medium glass roasting pan and bake until slightly softened, about 10 minutes.
6. While the apricots roast, combine the apricot nectar, honey, cloves and cinnamon sticks in a medium skillet and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add the baked apricots and any pan juices and cook, stirring occasionally, until the apricots are well caramelized and the liquid is syrupy, about 5 minutes.
7. Return the chilled oatmeal to the stove and cook over low heat until heated through. Stir in the warm milk and cook until incorporated.
8. Spoon the oatmeal into bowls, top with some of the apricots with syrup and sprinkle with pistachios. Drizzle with rose water if desired.