Linguine with Clams and Fried Breadcrumbs
- serves 4
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 clove garlic, thinly sliced
2 shallots, thinly sliced
pinch chilli flakes
2 lb(s) clams, cleaned and scrubbed
2 Tbsp diced pancetta, about 2 slices
½ cup canned baby clams, 2 Tbsp clam juice reserved
½ cup white wine
2 Tbsp butter
¼ cup chopped parsley
1 500 g package dried linguine
salt and pepper
fried bread crumbs, optionalFried Breadcrumbs
½ cup crushed breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, finely minced
pinch salt and pepper
1. Add olive oil to large, heavy-bottomed pot and bring to medium heat. Add pancetta and saute until gloden.
2. Stir in garlic, shallots and chilli flakes; saute until soft and starting to colour.
3. Tumble in fresh clams, then add white wine and reserved clam juice. Turn heat up to medium high and cover pot tightly with lid.
4. Cook shaking pot occasionally, until clams open, about 5-6 minutes. Uncover and turn heat down to low.
5. Add baby clams; stir just to warm through. Swirl in butter and check seasoning for salt and pepper.
6. Bring a large pot of salted water to a roiling boil. Cook pasta until al dente, about 8 minutes, or according to package insturctions.
7. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking water. Toss pasta into clams, coating noodles well. If necessary add a few tablespoons of cooking water to loosen sauce. Take pot off heat and fold in parsley and olive oil.
8. To serve, divide noodles between serving plates, arranging clams on top. Top with fried breadcrumbs, olive oil and cracked black pepper, if desired.Fried Breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 300. Add olive oil and garlic to medium oven safe pan and bring to medium heat. Fry garlic for a minute, then add breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Toss to coat breadcrumbs. Place pan in oven and toast until breadcrumbs are golden brown.