MacIntosh Maple Crumble with Candied Bacon
- prep time1 min
- total time 52 min
- serves 6
This maple-apple crumble gets a twist with mouthwatering candied bacon.
5-6 thick bacon strips
Raw sugar to coat
pinch smoked cayenneMaple-Apple Filling
6 MacIntosh apples, peeled and cubed
¼ cup maple liqueur
¼ cup maple syrup
Seeds of 1/2 a vanilla bean
pinch sea saltCrumble
1 cup rolled oats
½ cup walnuts, crushed
1 cup flour
½ cup brown sugar
⅓ cup cold unsalted butter, cold and cut into small piecesShkiaffing it Together
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
2. Line a cookie sheet with some parchment paper. Lay the bacon strips on a wire rack and coat evenly with raw sugar. Lightly press the sugar into the bacon, sprinkle them with smoked cayenne and transfer them to the lined baking sheet.
3. Checking on the bacon frequently, cook for about 12 minutes or until caramelized.
4. Using tongs, carefully place the cooked bacon strips on a wire rack to cool and harden before serving.Maple-Apple Filling
1. In a baking dish, combine apples, maple liqueur, vanilla bean seeds, nutmeg and sea salt. Mix ingredients together.Crumble
1. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. In a big bowl, add the flour, rolled oats, crushed walnuts and brown sugar. Mix these ingredients together then using pastry cutter, cut in the cold butter bits.
3. Evenly distribute the crumble over the apple mixture and bake for 40 minutes or until the topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.Shkiaffing it Together
1. Cut the crumble into slices. Top each slice with a piece of candied bacon and serve with a shot of cinnamon schnapps.