Maple Beef-Bacon Donut
- prep time20 min
- total time 30 min
- serves 20 - 24
This is a real whopper of a donut! Couple sweet and savoury with your choice of beef, chicken bacon, pork or turkey.
2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg
¼ cup butter, melted
½ cup buttermilk OR 3/4 cup milk
⅓ cup turkey, beef, pork or chicken bacon, cooked and minced
oil, for frying
1. Sift together all dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, nutmeg).
2. Mix together wet ingredients (butter, buttermilk, egg, meat) and incorporate into dry. Stir until smooth.
3. Batter should just hang onto a spoon. If the batter is a bit dry, add a splash of buttermilk or milk.
4. Let batter rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before portioning.
5. Using a teaspoon to portion out batter, on a floured surface with floured palms, roll donuts into little balls and drop batter into hot oil (350ºF), turning after a few moments until dark, golden brown on all sides.
6. Remove and drain.
7. Smother donuts in powdered sugar and maple syrup.
8. Serve while hot.