Maple Glazed Salmon Fillets with Bacon Barley, Swiss Chard and Maple Bacon
- serves 4
½ cup maple syrup
¼ cup soy sauce
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
1 Tbsp freshly ground back pepper
1 sprig rosemary, crushed, to release oils
4 6 oz salmon fillets, each sliced lengthwise into 3 strips
1 Tbsp vegtable oilBacon Barley
1 Tbsp olive oil
4 strips bacon, chopped
1 small onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 sprig rosemary, leaves removed
1 cup white wine
2 cup cooked barley, cooked to package directionsSwiss Chard
1 bunch swiss chard
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup corn, fresh or frozen
2 Tbsp white wine or chicken stockMaple Bacon
4 strips bacon
⅓ cup maple syrup
1. In a small ceramic dish, mix maple syrup, soy sauce, cider vinegar, black pepper and rosemary. Add salmon and let marinate for 2 hours.
2. In a medium sized cast iron skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium high heat. Add salmon and cook 20-30 seconds per side, or until fish is medium.Bacon Barley
1. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add bacon and cook 4-6 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
2. Add onion and cook 5 more minutes or until they soft and translucent. Add garlic and rosemary leaves. Stir to combine.
3. Add white wine to deglaze pan. Add barley and stir to combine.Swiss Chard
1. Clean swiss chard and remove stems. Cut stems into 1 inch pieces and tear greens into bite size pieces. Keep stems and greens separate.
2. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chard stems and corn and cook 3-4 minutes, or until tender.
3. Add white wine or stock and let liquid reduce slightly, another 3-4 minutes.
4. Add greens and cook 2-3 minutes, or until wilted.Maple Bacon
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Place bacon on a baking sheet and into oven. Bake for 10 minutes.
3. Brush maple syrup onto bacon and continue cooking. Baste bacon with maple syrup every 5-10 minutes, or until bacon is golden and crispy, for a total of 25-30 minutes. Let cool, and break into pieces.