Maple, Pecan and Bacon Stud-Glazed Kale Donuts
This is a sweet-and-salty lover's paradise made even better with the dark green colouring of kale.
4 oz warm water
¼ oz dry yeast
¾ cup milk
½ cup kale, blanched
3 oz butter, melted or browned
¼ cup sugar
1 tsp salt
20 oz flourMaple, Pecan and Bacon Stud Glaze
¼ cup maple syrup
½ tsp sherry vinegar
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1 pinch salt
⅓ cup cream
1 cup bacon, rendered
½ cup pecans, toasted and chopped
1 pinch salt
1 oz maple syrup
1. Combine the yeast and water to activate the yeast.
2. Purée the milk and blanched kale until smooth.
3. Place the flour in a mixing bowl of mixer with paddle attachment. Add the yeast mixture, the kale-milk purée, melted butter, sugar, salt and eggs to the flour. Knead for a couple of minutes.
4. Set dough in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a clean dish towel and set aside for 30 minutes.
5. Roll out dough on flour-dusted surface. Cut into donut shapes.
6. Fill pot halfway with vegetable oil and heat to 360ºF. Fry donuts for 2 minutes on each side. Set on cooling rack.Maple, Pecan and Bacon Stud Glaze
1. Combine 1/4 cup maple syrup, sherry vinegar, powdered sugar, 1 pinch salt and cream in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
2. Combine the rendered bacon and pecans in a sauté pan over medium heat and add the salt and maple syrup. Cook until just for a minute to coat the bacon and pecans. Cool.
3. After frying the donuts, dip in the glaze and stud the top with the bacon and pecan mixture.
4. Add crispy fried kale leaves on top for final garnish (optional).