Butter, for greasing the cake pan
Flour, for dusting the cake pan
1 ¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature (310 ml)
1 ¼ cup granulated sugar (310 ml)
½ cup homogenized milk (125 ml)
4 large eggs, room temperature
2 tsp vanilla (10 ml)
½ tsp salt (2 ml)
1 ¾ cup cake flour (425 ml)
2 tsp baking powder (10 ml)
¼ cup Dutch processed cocoa powder (60 ml)
½ cup bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (grams)
½ cup heavy cream (125 ml)
tsp vanilla extract (10ml)
1 Tbsp golden corn syrup (15ml)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Butter and lightly flour a 9-inch bundt pan.
3. Sift together the salt, flour and baking powder in another bowl.
4. Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy using a stand mixer or an electric hand mixer. Add the vanilla and gradually add the eggs, scraping down the sides and the bottom of the bowl in between additions.
5. Alternate adding the flour mixture and milk in 2 additions, beating on low speed and scraping down the sides of the bowl in between additions.
6. Pour half the batter into another bowl. Sift the cocoa onto batter. Mix to thoroughly incorporate the cocoa into the batter. Now you have 2 batters a vanilla batter and a cocoa batter.
7. Using half of each of the cocoa and vanilla batters, add alternating scoops of each batter to a cake pan. Using the remaining amounts of both batters, add a second layer, alternating again the scoops of vanilla and cocoa batter. Drag a knife or skewer through the batters, swirling to create a marbled effect.
8. Bake until a cake tester inserted in the centre comes our clean, about 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove cake from pan and cool completely on a wire rack. Cover with chocolate glaze when cooled.
1. Heat the cream to a boil and pour over the chopped chocolate. Allow chocolate to melt 1 2 minutes. Stir with a spatula to combine chocolate and cream. Stir in the vanilla and corn syrup. Let cool slightly before pouring. With the cake sitting on a wire rack with a baking sheet underneath, drizzle glaze over the cake. Let the cake sit until glaze is set, about hour. Slice and serve.