Meatballs in Applesauce with Rice and Broccoli
- serves 4
1 ½ cup basmati or white rice
1 ½ lb(s) extra lean ground beef
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder (can be onion salt)
½ tsp pepper
½ cup chopped onion
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
1 284 mL can tomato soup
1 Tbsp liquid honey
1 tsp hot chili sauce Asian style
5 cup frozen broccoli florets
1. Combine rice and water in large microwave-safe pot. Cover and microwave at high for 10 minutes, then medium for 10 minutes.
2. Combine beef, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper in a mixing bowl.
3. Form into 1 inch meatballs and place in large nonstick frying pan on medium heat.
4. Add onion to pan.
5. In the used bowl, combine apple sauce, tomato soup, honey and chilli sauce.
6. Once meatballs have browned pour sauce over top. Stir to coat.
7. Once sauce starts to boil, reduce heat to a high simmer.
8. When timer rings for rice, remove the rice and let stand.
9. Place broccoli florets in microwave-safe pot. Cover and microwave at high for 5 minutes.
10. Add a little spice or salt and butter and microwave an additional 2 minutes.