Mexican-Style Brunch Quesadilla
- serves 2
Saucy Mexican style brunch is quesadillas with peppers Monterey jack, guacamole and lime sour cream dip.
400 g can black beans in water, drained
2 large roasted red peppers from a jar – sliced
sea salt and freshly ground pepper
splash of Tabasco
150 g monterey jack cheese - grated
bunch of coriander – roughly chopped
150 g semi firm tofu
pinch of turmeric
pinch of ground cumin
spring onion, finely sliced
red chilli, deseeded & finely chopped
1 chicken breast – roasted in the oven for about 25 mins at 180C with a little olive oil and seasoning
4 tortillas – you can use white, wholemeal, spelt, whatever you like
large handful of coriander – finely choppedGuacamole
2 ripe avocados – all the flesh scooped out and mashed up
zest and Juice of a lime
1 tomato, deseeded and finely chopped
½ red onion, peeled & finely chopped
sea salt and freshly ground pepperSour Cream
2 Tbsp sour cream
Zest and juice of a limeMexican Style Brunch Quesadill
1. Heat the beans and ready roasted peppers through in a small saucepan with a little olive oil and salt and pepper and a splash of Tabasco.
2. While this is warming through make your guacamole – you can either do this by hand or in a blender, mixing everything together – I like mine very limey.
3. Mix together the cheese and chopped coriander.
4. Split the bean mixture into 2 different bowls.
5. Crumble up the tofu with the turmeric and cumin and stir fry the tofu with a little olive oil, adding the spring onion and chilli, add this to one of the bowls of bean mix.
6. Shred the chicken breast and add this to the other bowl of bean mix.
7. To assemble your quesadillas – place a tortilla into it to warm through.
8. Spoon on the bean, tofu mixture and half the cheese, then place another tortilla on top and press down.
9. When it starts feeling warmed through turn the quesadilla over to warm the tortilla on top. Repeat this with the remaining tortillas and the chicken and bean mixture and the rest of the cheese.
10. While it is heating through – mix together the sour cream with the lime zest and juice of half a lime. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
11. When the quesadillas are all ready cut them into wedges and serve with the sour cream and guacamole.