Meyer Lemon Gelato, Beet Root Spongecake and Dark Chocolate Crisp
- serves 0
A dish that balances refreshment with rich flavour.Courtesy of Chef Paul Moran for the Hawksworth Young Chefs Scholarship.
200 mL milk
75 mL cream
2 Meyer lemons
100 g sugar
1 large red beet root
40 g flour
1 Anjou pear
20 g dark chocolate
15 g butter
1. Prepare a gelato base with finest dairy products available. Season with Meyer lemon juice and zest. Chill in ice cream machine and freeze for a minimum of two hours.
2. Reduce beet root juice into a syrup consistency and incorporate into spongecake base. Bake and chill on a wire rack.
3. Incorporate salted butter and Meyer lemon juice into a light caramel. Boil briefly and let cool to room temperature.
4. Cut pears with a ring cutter, marinate in Meyer lemon juice and a sprinkle of sugar.
5. For the crisps, prepare a caramel and add equal parts of chocolate while warm. Cool, mix in food processor and pass through a sieve onto a Silat. Melt in hot oven.
6. For plating, use a chilled bowl, add a scoop of ice cream and then a spoon of caramel in the bottom of the bowl. Arrange remaining components on top and around the ice cream.