Moroccan Scramble with Turkey Merguez, Roasted Chickpeas and Avocado
- prep time10 min
- total time 60 min
- serves 4 - 6
This beautiful brunch plate is a colourful, vibrant mix of textures and flavours.
2 (15-oz) cans chickpeas, drained, rinsed and drained again
2 Tbsp olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepperScramble
3 Tbsp olive oil
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped to a paste or grated with a rasp grater
1 Fresno chile, finely diced
1 Tbsp harissa paste
8 oz ground turkey or chicken (90/10)
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
8 large eggs
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced, soaked in ice water for 10 minutes and drained
1. Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
2. Toss the chickpeas with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet and roast until crispy, about 35 minutes.Scramble
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a small pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and chile and cook until soft. Add the harissa paste and cook for 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup water and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
2. Heat the remaining tablespoon oil in a large nonstick saute pan over high heat, add the turkey and cook, stirring occasionally, until brown, about 5 minutes. Add the vinegar, spice paste and 1/2 cup water and cook a few minutes longer.
3. Whisk the eggs in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add them to the turkey mixture and cook, stirring, until small moist and fluffy curds form, 3 to 4 minutes. Fold in the cilantro. Transfer to a platter and garnish with the avocado, red onion and roasted chickpeas.