Muffuletta: The Whole Wide World's Biggest Sandwich
- serves 4
1 whole wheat round bread
2 cup green cabbage, finely shredded (500ml)
1 carrot, shredded
1 green onion, sliced
2 tsp whole grain mustard (10ml)
⅓ English cucumber, sliced
1 tomato, sliced
½ small red pepper, sliced
½ cup cooked chickpeas (125ml)
3 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 lb(s) deli sliced, rare roast beef (500g)
4 slices Gouda cheese
2 Tbsp butter (optional)
freshly ground black pepperAdults:
red pepper slicesChildren:
1 Tbsp sunflower seeds
1. In a bowl combine cabbage, carrot, green onion, mayonnaise and mustard. Place half of mixture in another bowl.
2. Combine following ingredients in each bowl:
Kids: 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
3. Divide roast beef into 2 portions: kids 10 oz and adults 6 oz.
4. Assemble sandwiches: cut bread horizonally in half. Hollow out bread to accommodate filling. Cut bread again in half and spread with butter, if using. Layer with curly lettuce, cheese, cabbage mixtures, roast beef and tomato. Top with: cucumber slices for kids and red pepper slices for adults.
5. Top with bread. Slice and wrap in wax or parchment paper.
Tip: If using canned chickpeas, drain and rinse.Adults: Children: