14 g (0.5 oz) dried mushrooms
3 cup (750 mL) vegetable or chicken stock
3 Tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
¼ cup (60 mL) shallots, finely chopped
1 tsp (5 mL) garlic, finely chopped
1 ½ cup (375 mL) risotto rice
½ cup (125 mL) dry white wine
2 Tbsp (30 mL) Parmesan cheese, grated
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup (250 mL) breadcrumbs
80 g goat cheese
2 cup (500 mL) crushed tomatoes
¼ cup (60 mL) olive oil
3 Tbsp (45 mL) unsalted butter
2 Tbsp (30 mL) basil, shredded
½ tsp (2 mL) salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Soak mushrooms in 1 cup warm water until soft, 15 to 20 min. Drain reserving soaking liquid. Finely chop. Heat stock in a medium pot over medium heat. Keep warm.
2. Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and cook until soft, 4 to 5 min. Add rice and stir until the grains appear glossy, about 2 min. Add wine and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring for 2 min or until the liquid has been absorbed.
3. Add the soaking water from the mushrooms to the warm stock. Add one ladleful of the stock mixture to the rice and stir over medium heat until absorbed. Repeat, stirring continuously, until rice is tender but firm to the tooth, about 20 to 25 min. Remove from heat and stir in parmesan and mushrooms. Scrape risotto onto a baking sheet to cool fully. Chill until cold. Stir egg into cold risotto.
4. Pour breadcrumbs into a shallow bowl. Crumble goat cheese into pea-sized pieces. Press 1 tbsp cold risotto into the palm of your hand. Place a portion of goat cheese in the centre. Top with a second tbsp of risotto. Form into a ball, sealing the cheese in the centre. Roll in the breadcrumbs, then squeeze gently so the breadcrumbs adhere. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining risotto, cheese and breadcrumbs. Let balls chill for 30 min.
1. Combine crushed tomatoes, olive oil, butter and basil in a medium pot over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 30 min.
2. Add enough oil to a medium, deep pot to reach 2-inches in depth. Heat to 330-350 ºF. Add a few rice balls to the pot without crowding. Cook for 3 to 4 min, until golden and heated through. Spoon to a paper towel-lined plate and repeat with remaining arancini.
3. Serve hot with tomato dipping sauce.