Mussels with Whole Wheat Spaghetti
- serves 10
5 lb(s) fresh cultured blue mussels, cleaned and scrubbed
2 ½ lb(s) whole wheat spaghetti
¼ cup olive oil (for step #2)
1 ¼ cup mixture of carrots, leeks, onions and celery, minced
½ cup dry white wine
¼ cup olive oil (for step #4)
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
2 red peppers, julienned
1 clove garlic, minced
4 shallots, minced
¼ bunch fresh parsley, minced
1 pinch salt and pepper, to taste
1. Rinse fresh blue mussels in tap water, scrubbing and removing beard.
2. Heat olive oil in a large pot. Sauté vegetables a few minutes. Add wine, bring to boil. Add fresh blue mussels, cover and cook over high heat until shells open, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove mussels from shells, keeping some in the shell for garnish.
3. Cook pasta according to instructions. Drain. Rinse with cold water and drain again.
4. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan. Add mushrooms, red peppers, garlic, shallots, and cook for 3 minutes.
5. Add mussels, parsley, cooked spaghetti, and heat well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Serve immediately on warm plates and garnish with mussels in shell.