Nafplion Spinach Pie
- serves 8
This savoury tart is made with fillo, fresh dill, and sesame seeds!
Recipe courtesy of Krinos Foods Canada
1 pkg (454 g) Krinos Fillo Pastry (room temperature)Nafplion Spinach Pie
750 g canned spinach or 1 pack fresh spinach
½ cup fresh dill, finely chopped
2 onions or 5-6 green onions, finely chopped
2 eggs, beaten
250 g Krinos Feta Cheese, crumbled
1 cup Krinos Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Athena Salt
1 tsp ground pepper
454 g Krinos Fillo pastry (1 package) room temperature
3 tsp sesame seeds
1. Allow fillo dough to thaw in refrigerator overnight or on the counter top for at least 2 hours. Bring to room temperature before using.
2. Carefully unroll fillo sheets onto a smooth, dry surface.
3. Cover fillo with a plastic wrap or with a damp towel.
4. Keep fillo covered until needed. Do not leave uncovered for over 5 minutes to avoid drying out.Nafplion Spinach Pie
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. Defrost spinach and let drain completely or, if fresh, wash and drain (you can use a salad spinner).
3. In a bowl, combine finely chopped dill and onions, beaten eggs, crumbled feta, 1/2 cup of olive oil, salt and pepper.
4. Brush a medium non-stick baking dish with 2 tsp. of olive oil.
5. Set aside 6 sheets of fillo pastry. Cover with a damp towel.
6. With the remaining fillo, lay 2 sheets in baking dish and brush with olive oil.
7. Add 2 more sheets, brush again with olive oil and repeat until all sheets have been used.
8. Add the mixture and lay evenly.
9. Cover mixture with 2 of the reserved fillo sheets, brush with olive oil, add 2 more sheets and repeat until all 6 sheets have been used.
10. Fold sheets inwards and trim edges.
11. Brush the top with olive oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
12. Score top with 4 linear openings.
13. Bake for 45 minutes on 350°F (175ºC) or until fillo sheets are golden brown.
14. Tip: For a lighter, flakier pastry, brush each layer with melted butter. To prevent edges from cracking, brush edges first then work toward the centre.
15. Tip: For best results, fillings should be chilled and not excessively moist.