2 Tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
4 chicken breasts, with skin and bone
1 red pepper, julienned
¼ cup (60 mL) sundried tomatoes, chopped
1 ½ cups (350 mL) Arborio rice (works best)
3 cups (700 mL) gluten-free chicken stock (another free ingredient)
¾ cup (180 mL) chopped fresh Italian parsley
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large heavy-bottom pot, brown the chicken in the olive oil over medium-high heat, approx. 2 to 3 minutes per side, seasoning both sides with salt and pepper. You want the chicken to be a nice golden-brown color.
2. Add the red peppers and sauté until they start to soften, about 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Add the sundried tomatoes and rice and combine with the other ingredients, browning the rice slightly.
4. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil, then reduce to medium-low heat and continue cooking until the rice and chicken are cooked, approx. 25 to 35 minutes, checking occasionally and stirring the rice so it does not stick.
5. Or you can bake in a 385°F (195°C) oven for approximately 35 to 40 minutes, stirring every 8 to 10 minutes so it doesn’t stick.
6. Serve it straight out of the pot or on a platter. Garnish with the fresh parsley and lots of salt and cracked pepper.
Tips and Substitutions
Why not try …
Adding olives instead of sundried tomatoes, and using fresh basil to finish the dish?