Oven to Slow Cooker Ribs with Hummus, Pita and Cold Veggies
- prep time15 min
- total time 15 min
- serves 4
A full-fledged, easy to make meal that's guaranteed to leave you satisfied.
3 lb(s) or 1350 g lean pork or beef ribs (can double to have extras)
1 small onion
1 cup ketchup
2 cup water
½ tsp chili powder
½ cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
2 dash dashes Tabasco sauce
1 can chick peas (19 oz or approx 2 cups), drained
⅓ cup lemon juice
¼ cup water
¼ cup tahini ground sesame paste
2 tsp prepared garlic (in a jar)
3 Tbsp olive oil
salt to taste (1/4 tsp)
2 Tbsp dried parsley
Green onion (optional)
6-8 pita bread
1 pkg Package of cut up raw veggies (1 lb or 450 g)
½ cup Ranch dip (1/2 cup) optional
1. In the morning: Preheat oven to 425º F (220º C). Cut ribs into slabs and place on broiler pan.
2. Sliver onion and sprinkle over ribs. Sprinkle lemon juice over ribs. Bake ribs for 20 minutes.
3. While ribs are cooking: Mix together the following ingredients in a medium size bowl: ketchup, water, chili powder, Worcestershire, salt and Tabasco. When timer rings for ribs. Place ribs into inner crock of slow cooker. Pour sauce over ribs, cover and cook on low setting all day.
4. When you get home: Heat oven to 325º F (160º C). Blend together the following ingredients in a food processor until smooth: chick peas, lemon juice, water, tahini, garlic, olive oil and salt.
5. Blend in parsley at the very end. Makes 3 cups. One serving is about 1/4 cup.
6. Scoop 1 to 1 1/2 cups of hummus into a serving dish.
7. Reserve remaining hummus for another time. Keep in mind hummus freezes well.
8. We like to sprinkle chopped green onion on top. Turn off oven. Brush pita with a little olive oil. Wrap pita in foil and place in oven. Set out raw veggies and dip. Veggies are also delicious dipped in hummus. Cut pita into wedges before serving.