Peameal and Cheddar Sandwich
- serves 4
8 slices of rye bread
1 Tbsp honey Dijon mustard (15 ml)
2 Tbsp butter, softened (30 ml)
12 ½ oz slices of peameal bacon
4 Tbsp maple syrup (60 ml)
1 tsp lemon juice (5 ml)
1 Tbsp vegetable oil (15 ml)
4 1 oz slices of sharp 5 year-old cheddar cheese
1. In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add peameal bacon slices and cook for ½ minute on one side. Turn over and cook on the other side.
2. In a small bowl combine the maple syrup and lemon juice and add to cooking bacon. Turn slices over and allow each side to get caramelized. Allow the slices to cook until liquid evaporates. Remove from heat and set aside until needed.
3. Butter 8 slices of rye bread. Lay slices of bread with buttered side down on a flat surface. Spread honey Dijon mustard on four of the slices.
4. Top the four other slices with one slice of cheddar cheese and 3 slices of the maple glazed peameal bacon. Cover with other slice of bread, buttered side out.
5. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Place two sandwiches and grill until golden brown and the cheese has melted.
6. When cooked take sandwiches off the heat and cut diagonally.