Pear Almond Tart with Blackcurrant
- serves 1
Courtesy of Thomas Haas of Thomas Haas Chocolates & Pâtisserie.
⅔ cup cassis (blackcurrant purée)
¾ cup granulated sugarAlmond Cream
1 cup butter
1 ½ cup icing sugar
2 cup blanched ground almonds
4 tsp cornstarch
3 eggsShortbread Dough
⅓ cup granulated sugar
¾ cup butter
1 cup pastry flour
1 cup bread flour
1 small egg
1 pinch saltPears
4 ripe Bartlett pears, peeled, cut in half and core removed
¼ cup slivered almonds
1. Combine the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir and let cool.Almond Cream
1. Ensure all ingredients are at room temperature.
2. Cream the butter and icing sugar with the paddle attachment of a blender.
3. Add the almonds and cornstarch, alternating with the eggs to the creamed mixture until just combined.Shortbread Dough
1. Cream the sugar, butter and salt. Add the flours. Do not overmix.
2. Add the egg. Do not overmix. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate.Pears
1. Line a 9-inch (23 cm) tart shell with shortbread dough.
2. Spread a thin layer of cassis jam on the bottom of the pastry dough shell.
3. Then pipe/spread a layer of soft almond cream to ¾ full.
4. Vertically slice the pear halves and place on top of the almond cream to cover the top of tart.
5. Place some slivered almonds on top of the pears and dust with cinnamon.
6. Bake at 325°F (160°C) for 45 to 60 minutes or until middle of the tart is set and the crust is of golden colour.
7. Serve with your favourite vanilla ice cream.