Pecan and Jalapeno Cheese Ball
- prep time20 min
- total time 25 min
- serves 6 - 8
A lovely holiday appetizer that's both creamy and spicy, covered in chopped toasted pecans.
Courtesy of RICARDO Magazine.
8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
4 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
1 Tbsp jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
2 tsp green onion, choppedTopping
1 shallot, peeled and cut into thin slices
2 Tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour
⅓ cup toasted pecans, finely chopped
¼ cup pomegranate seeds
3 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
Crackers or toasted bread slices
Salt and pepper
Canola oil, for frying
1. In a food processor, purée the cheeses until smooth. Add the pepper and green onion, pulsing a few seconds at a time. Transfer the cheese mixture to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.Topping
1. In a small saucepan, heat about 1 inch (2.5 cm) of oil to approximately 350°F. Line a plate with paper towels. Set aside.
2. Dredge the shallots in the flour and shake to remove any excess. Fry the shallots until crisp and lightly golden brown. Drain on the paper towels. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside. Note: The shallots can be cooked 2 to 3 days in advance and kept at room temperature in an airtight container.
3. Place the pecans on a plate. With your hands, shape the cheese mixture into a large ball and coat it with the pecans. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
4. Place the cheese ball in the centre of a small plate. Let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. When ready to serve, garnish with pomegranate seeds, cilantro and fried shallots. Serve with crackers or toasted bread slices.