Pink Grapefruit Meringue Pies
- prep time1 min
- total time 25 min
- serves 4
The delicate meringues are a delicious match to these sweet citrus pies.
20 graham crackers
½ cup semi-sweet dark chocolate, grated
¼ cup brown sugar
5 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
4 eggs at room temperature, separate yolks and whites
1 Tbsp grapefruit zest
1 Tbsp lemon zest
¼ cup freshly squeezed pink grapefruit juice
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
1 ½ cup water
⅓ cup cornstarch
1 ¼ cup sugar
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
½ tsp white vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F / 176 degrees C.
2. In a re-sealable bag, crush graham crackers. Transfer crushed graham crackers into a big bowl and mix in: 1/2 cup dark chocolate shavings, 1/4 cup brown sugar and 5 tablespoons of melted butter. Line 4 4-inch pie molds with the crust mixture.
3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, then cool.
4. In a bowl, combine 4 egg yolks, 1/4 cup fresh pink grapefruit juice, 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, a pinch of pink grapefruit zest, and a pinch of lemon zest.
5. In a heavy saucepan mix 1 1/2 cups of water, 1/3 cup cornstarch, 1 1/4 cups sugar and a pinch of sea salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat whisking constantly for 2 to 3 minutes until the mixture thickens. Slowly add this mixture to the citrus-ey yolks.
6. Pour mixture back into the pot, reduce heat to low, add 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter and whisk for 8 more minutes, until very thick. Cover and refrigerate.
7. To 4 egg whites add 1/4 teaspoon of white vinegar, and 3 tablespoons white sugar, whip until stiff peaks form.
8. Heat oven to 375 degrees F / 190 degrees C.
9. Spoon citrus filling into graham cracker crust and top with lots of meringue. Bake for 10 minutes, until the meringues brown slightly.