6 large red Fresno chiles (about 5 oz), coarsely chopped
4 red Thai chiles, stemmed
5 cloves garlic
¼ cup red wine vinegar
2 ½ tsp kosher salt
⅔ cup olive oil
1 lb(s) boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2 to 3 pieces each
bamboo skewers, soaked in water for at least 1 hour, or metal skewers
¼ small head green cabbage, very thinly sliced (about 2 1/2 cups)
¼ English (hothouse) cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
¼ white onion, very thinly sliced
¼ cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp finely grated lime zest
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Grilled Flatbreads with Garlic-Rosemary Oil or 4 purchased naan
1. To prepare the piri piri chicken, in a food processor, blend the chiles, garlic, vinegar, and salt until smooth. With the machine running, gradually add the oil.
2. In a large bowl, toss the chicken with ⅔ cup of the piri piri mixture to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, and up to 1 day. Refrigerate the remaining piri piri sauce.
3. Prepare a grill for high heat. Thread the chicken pieces onto skewers. Grill the skewers, turning frequently and basting with ⅓ cup of the remaining piri piri sauce, for about 12 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and charred in spots.
4. Note: The chicken can be marinated for up to 1 day.
1. Meanwhile, to make the slaw, in a large bowl, combine the cabbage, cucumber, onion, and mint. In a small bowl, whisk the lime zest and juice with the oil to blend. Toss the cabbage mixture with enough dressing to coat. Season to taste with salt.
2. To serve, divide the chicken skewers, slaw, and flatbreads among four plates. Serve the remaining piri piri sauce alongside.