Pistachio-Crusted Cashew Cheeseball
- prep time20 min
- total time 20 min
- serves 12
Courtesy of Lauren Toyota and John Diemer for hot for food blog.
2 ¼ cup raw cashews, soaked overnight in water
⅔ cup fresh filtered water
1 tsp miso paste
powder of 2 vegan source probiotic capsules (10 billion CPU)
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
2 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp lemon zest
2 Tbsp basil
1 Tbsp dill fronds
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp ground pepper
⅓ cup shelled salted pistachios, finely chopped
1. Drain the soaking water from the cashews and rinse them in fresh water.
2. In a food processor combine cashews, fresh filtered water, miso paste, and probiotic powder until smooth. Be patient, the mixture will get smooth eventually with a little manual labour helping it along. Just stop the processor every so often and push the mixture off of the sides with a spatula.
3. Once this mixture is smooth add in the remaining ingredients (except the pistachios) and run this through the food processor until everything is well combined.
4. Empty the mixture into 2 layers of cheesecloth. Make sure the cheesecloth is cut big enough to cover the entire cheeseball and have some excess at the top. Tie the excess ends at the top around a wooden spoon or something that can suspend the cheeseball in a large mixing bowl so that it doesn’t touch the bottom. Then cover the bowl with a tea towel and leave it in a warm, dark place (in a cupboard, on the counter, or on top of the fridge) for 16 hours.
5. After 16 hours unwrap the cheesecloth and transfer the mixture into a new clean 2 layered cheesecoth. You can reuse these if you just wash them in warm water and a little dish soap and allow them to air dry. Tie it around the wooden spoon and suspend it the same way in the mixing bowl, but keep it in the fridge for 24-48 hours.
6. When you’re ready to serve the cheeseball, unwrap it from the cheesecloth and gently shape it into a ball using your hands. Gently press 1/3 C finely chopped pistachios around it and serve immediately.