Pistachio-Dusted Rose-Glazed Yeast Donuts
- serves 12 - 18
With pops of both colour and flavour, these donuts are to die for!
3 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
3 tsp instant yeast
½ cup sugar
1 tsp salt
⅓ cup + 4 Tbsp whole milk
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
2 tsp vanilla
1 orange, zested
1 lemon, zested
oil, for frying
1 thermometerRose Glaze
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 Tbsp rose water (you can substitute orange blossom water or vanilla)
1 Tbsp heavy cream
red food colouring (optional); add a couple drops to the glaze
½ cup pistachios, finely ground
1. In a mixing bowl, add 3 cups flour, sugar, yeast, orange zest and lemon zest.
2. Place in an electric mixer with a dough hook and mix for a couple of seconds.
3. In a cup, mix the milk, vanilla and eggs. Set aside.
4. Turn the mixer on and alternate the milk mixture with the melted butter, scraping down the sides. Do this until it is all incorporated.
5. Add the salt in. When you finish adding in all the liquids, the dough it will be a little wet. Slowly sprinkle in the remaining 1/4 cup of flour until the dough comes together and leaves the sides of the mixing bowl almost clean. IF IT DOES THIS BEFORE YOU ARE FINISHED THE 1/4 CUP, YOU DO NOT NEED TO ADD THE REST.
6. Turn the dough out knead it on a floured surface for a minute until the dough is soft and comes together.
7. Place the dough in a bowl with a little oil and cover with a damp cloth leaving it in a warm place. Let it sit for 1-2 hours or until it doubles in size.
8. Roll the dough out to 1/2-inch to 1-inch thick and cut into donut shapes.
9. Place back on a floured tray and cover with the damp cloth, let rise for another 30-40 minutes.
10. While dough is rising, heat up the oil to 350ºF. When the dough is fluffy and has doubled in size, place it in the fryer for 2 minutes on each side.
11. Take out and let cool on a cooling rack. While the donuts are cooling, you can make the glaze.Rose Glaze
1. In a bowl sift the powdered sugar through a sifter. Add the rose water, heavy cream and food colouring (if using). Mix and keep on the side until the donuts are ready to be glazed.
2. When the donuts have cooled, place a tray underneath the cooling rack and then dunk the donuts in the icing (make sure there is a nice thick layer). Sprinkle with a nice dusting of the ground pistachios then place on the rack.