Pizza and Edamame Beans
- serves 4
1 tsp butter
1 pkg package frozen edamame beans in the shell (1 lb / 450 g)
½ tsp lemon pepper
½ tsp soy sauce
2 12 inch pizza rounds
1 tsp olive oil per pizza
⅓ cup prepared pesto (in a jar)
½ cup pizza sauce, canned or jarred
⅓ small of a small zucchini per pizza
¼ red onion
⅓ red pepper
⅓ orange or yellow pepper
Other veggies on hand
¼ cup cup feta cheese per pizza
2 Tbsp pine nuts
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese, part-skim
1 tsp Mrs. Dash Italian seasoning
6 slices 4-6 slices lean cooked deli ham
1 can Pineapple tidbits (from a can)
2 sticks sticks lean pepperoni
Everything is optional and anything can be added.
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Melt butter in a non-stick fry pan at medium heat.
3. Rinse edamame beans in a colander under cold water and shake off excess water. Add to pan of butter.
4. Sprinkle with lemon pepper and drizzle with soy sauce.
5. Toss until skins are completely coated and glazed.
6. Put them in a big bowl with a side bowl for discarding shells. Fun!!!
7. Brush edges of pizza crust with olive oil.
8. Spoon basil pesto over top of the vegetarian pizza.
9. Spoon tomato pizza sauce over the regular pizza.
10. Layer over pesto in this order, as you slice; slivered zucchini, mushrooms, onion (if someone isn’t fond of onion, finely chop) and peppers.
11. Layer over pizza sauce in this order; spice, ham, mushrooms, pineapple, pepperoni, you name it!!!
Bake in hot oven on separate racks on opposite sides of oven for 10 minutes.(Unless you have a convection oven. then they just need to be on separate racks)
When timer rings, you may like to melt your cheese more. You can do this by broiling them one at a time, until the cheese bubbles. You will have to stay and watch or before you know it, you end up with a burnt mess.
I purchase Deli World brand crusts. I just think they taste most like take-out crust. They come in packages of three. I make all three at one time and whatever we don’t eat I freeze for easy entertaining or a bail out meal. Simply wrap the extra, once cooled, in plastic wrap.