Poached Orange Salmon with Cilantro Butter, Rice and Carrot Slaw
- serves 4
¼ cup orange juice concentrate (60 mL)
¼ cup red wine or sherry (60 mL)
2 tsp prepared garlic (20 mL)
½ tsp Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy (2.5 mL)
1 tsp curry powder (5 mL)
½ tsp kosher salt (2.5 mL)
½ tsp fresh pepper (2.5 mL)
4 boneless skinless salmon filets 150g each (6 oz)
3 large carrots grated
¼ cup creamy onion vinaigrette salad dressing (60 mL)
1 ½ cup basmati rice (375 mL)
3 cup water (750 mL)
1 Tbsp butter (15 mL)
1 tsp dry cilantro (if you have fresh it’s waaay better and use 1 tbsp)
Pinch of seasoning salt
1. Combine orange juice concentrate, wine, garlic and spices.
2. Pour over salmon and let stand in fridge.
3. Combine carrots and vinaigrette. Serve raisins on the side so people who enjoy them, can stir them into their carrot slaw. Serve carrot slaw as the first part of the meal or appetizer.
4. Place rice and water in a large microwave safe pot with lid. Cook at high for 10 minutes. Stir.
5. Cook at medium 10 minutes. Lift with fork, cover and let stand 5 minutes.
6. When everyone arrives home…
7. Place fish on a pan sprayed with cooking spray. Brush with marinade and cook in hot pre-heated oven. Set timer for 10 minutes.
8. Stir butter, cilantro and salt together.
9. When timer rings and plates are being served, place a small amount of herbed butter on top of hot salmon.
10. Serve immediately.