Pomegranate Vinaigrette with Pita, Pecan and Lettuce Salad
- prep time1 min
- total time 10 min
- serves 4
Prepare this fruity, nutty salad in minutes.
2 small pita, cut into bite-size pieces
1 large pita, cut into bite-size pieces
1 head Boston lettuce
1 cup sliced cucumber
⅓ cup toasted chopped pecan
salt, to taste
pepper, to tastePomegranate Vinaigrette
1 large pomegranate
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
¾ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp pepper
¼ tsp ground coriander
¼ tsp salt
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 375º (190ºC).
2. Spread pita on rimmed baking sheet; toast for 8 minutes or until crisp and lightly golden. Let cool.
3. Tear lettuce into bite-size pieces.
4. In salad bowl, toss together lettuce, cucumber, pecans and pita pieces.
5. Toss with 3/4 cup (175 mL) of the vinaigrette
6. Season with salt and pepper.Pomegranate Vinaigrette
1. Substitution: Instead of fresh pomegranates, mix 1/4 cup (50 mL) pomegranate molasses with 1/2 cup (125 mL) warm water- the only thing you’ll miss is the crunch of the seeds.
2. Cut pomegranates into quarters; gently squeeze out seeds and juice into bowl, peeling away skin layers if necessary. Strain to separate seeds from juice; reserve seeds and juice.
3. Whisk lemon juice, garlic, cumin, pepper, coriander, and salt into juice, gradually whisk in olive oil. (Make-Ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours; bring to room temperature and whisk before serving.)
4. Reserving some seeds to sprinkle on top as garnish, stir seeds into vinaigrette.