Portuguese Chicken with Chorizo and Clams
- serves 4
This classic Portuguese dish by Chuck Hughes is a meat lover's delight.
2 red peppers, halved and seeded
4 chicken legs (thighs and drumsticks)
1 Tbsp of smoked paprika (15 ml)
1 Tbsp of paprika (15 ml)
1 lb(s) chorizo (450 g), sliced
2 Tbsp canola oil (30 ml)
2 Yukon gold potatoes, diced
1 medium sized onion, halved and sliced
2 clove of garlic, smashed
2 kale leaves chopped with stems julienned
¼ cup of fresh parsley, chopped (60 ml)
¼ cup of fresh chives, chopped (60 ml)
Salt and pepper to season
1. Heat oven to broil and place red peppers, skin side up on a baking sheet for approximately 10 minutes or until all the skin is blackened.
2. Remove red peppers from the oven and place in an airtight container or bowl covered in plastic wrap to sweat and cool for 5 minutes (skin will then be easy to peel off).
3. Reduce heat of the oven to 350F (180C).
4. Meanwhile, place chicken in a bowl and add paprika, chorizo, salt, pepper and mix well.
5. In a pan heat canola oil on high heat. Add chicken and fry until crispy on all sides, about 3-4 minutes. Add chorizo and do the same for another 2 minutes. Add potatoes and onions and stir. Slice skinless red pepper into long strips and add to pan, along with all the juices. Place smashed garlic on top of chicken and season with salt and pepper. Put the pan in the oven for 25 minutes approximately or until chicken is fork tender. Remove from oven. Add clams and kale. Cook for another 10 minutes.
6. Remove and plate, garnishing with fresh parsley, chives, a drizzle of olive oil and some crusty (Portuguese) bread on the side.
7. Note : Chorizo can be replaced by bacon cut in pieces. Kale can be replaced by baby spinach.