4 cup vegetable or peanut oil for frying (1 Litre)
4 medium sized russet potatoes, scrubbed well
1 cup grated Oka cheese (250 ml)
1 cup peppercorn gravy, prepared (250 ml)
Fresh chervil, stems removed (15 ml)
Course salt to taste
1. Follow manufacturer's instructions to preheat oil in a deep fryer to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C).
2. Cut the well scrubbed potatoes into 1/4 inch wide sticks. Place the French fries into a large bowl and cover completely with cool water. Soaking the potatoes removes the excess starch from the potatoes which will result in a crisper French fry.
3. Grate the Oka cheese using a cheese grater and set aside.
4. Drain the water from the potatoes using a colander. Pat the potatoes completely dry using paper towel.
5. Pour the gravy into a small sauce pan and place it over medium-low heat to gently heat the gravy until warm.
6. Place the dried potatoes into the preheated oil. Cook the potatoes until the potatoes are tender and have little or no colour, approximately 6-8 minutes. Remove from fryer, shake excess oil from fries and place on to a paper towelled lined plate. Depending on the size of your deep fryer you may have to repeat this process 2-3 times. Ensure that the oil returns to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C) before each batch is pre-cooked
7. Increase the temperature on the deep fryer to 395F. Allow the oil to preheat.
8. Place the blanched fries carefully into the hot oil. Again be sure not to over crowd your fryer. Allow the chips to cook for 5 minutes or until they are golden brown and crispy. Remove from fryer shake off excess oil and place on to a clean paper towelled lined plate. Immediately sprinkle with the course salt. Repeat this process until all French fries are cooked.
9. Divide the chips onto 6 plates and top with the cheese equally. Pour the gravy over the cheese and French fries and sprinkle with the fresh Chervil. Serve hot.