- serves 16-18
Laura Calder's deliciously light Powder Puff cookies with raspberry jam and whip cream.
½ cup flour
½ cup cornstarch
¾ tsp cream of tartar
½ tsp baking soda
3 eggs, separated
¾ cup caster sugar
½ cup raspberry jam
¾ cup whipping cream, for filling
1. Heat the oven to 425°F/220°C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Blend together the flour, cornstarch, cream of tartar, and baking soda. Set aside.
3. In another bowl, separate the egg whites from the yolks. Set yolks aside.
4. Beat the egg whites to soft peaks.
5. Add the sugar in three stages, beating after each addition to make a stiff, glossy meringue.
6. Whisk in the egg yolks one at a time.
7. Sift the dry ingredients together, then sift them over the egg mixture and fold in with the whisk, without beating or you'll lose volume.
8. Pipe or drop by tablespoonfuls onto the baking sheets, leaving room between so they can spread.
9. Bake until lightly golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove to a rack to cool. They will harden slightly.
10. Sandwich the rounds together with raspberry jam and sweetened, vanilla-flavoured whipped cream. Let sit an hour or so to soften before serving. (This is important. They will not be sponge-like right away, and you want them to be.) They need no dressing up, in my opinion, but you can dust with icing sugar before serving if you like.