Prime Rib Roast with Mushroom Gravy
- serves 0
1 9 lb(s) well-trimmed, rib roast
tsp rosemary, chopped
1 Tbsp coarse kosher salt
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
½ cup olive oil
4 Tbsp butter
1 lb(s) button mushrooms, cut into ¼ inch pieces
2 shallots, finely diced
2 Tbsp all purpose flour
3 cup beef broth
¾ cup dry red wine
1 bunch rosemary for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350*F.
2. Place the rib roast, fat side up, in heavy roasting pan. Mix 4 teaspoons rosemary, salt and pepper in small bowl. Stir in 1/2-cup oil. Rub mixture all over roast.
3. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté until golden brown. Add the shallots and garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Combine flour, remaining 2 tablespoons butter in small bowl and mix into a smooth paste.
4. Cook the roast until a meat thermometer inserted straight down into top center of roast registers 125°F to 130°F for medium-rare, about 2 hours 30 minutes.
5. Transfer roast to platter and cover loosely with foil and let rest 35 to 40 minutes. Skim any fat from top of pan juices and reserve juices in pan.
6. Set the roasting pan atop 2 burners over medium-high heat. Add the wine and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Add mushroom mixture, then butter flour mixture whisk constantly over medium-high heat until sauce thickens, about 2 minutes. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
7. Garnish roast on platter with fresh rosemary sprigs. Slice roast and serve, passing mushroom sauce separately.