1 (4-5 lbs/1.8-2.3 kg) standing rib roast - 3 bone minimum
6-8 cloves garlic, smashed
1-2 shallots, chopped
3-4 sprigs thyme
½ cup (125 mL) full bodied, dry red wine - Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot
1 Tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
¼ cup (60 mL) warm water
1 carton (480 mL) CAMPBELL'S® Stock First™ Beef Stock
1. Cook roast in a roasting pan at 350ºF (180ºC) until just before desired doneness, approximately 2 hours Remove roast from oven and rest, covered; on a carving board or serving platter.
2. While the roast is resting, pour off excess fat from roasting pan and place over medium-high heat. Add garlic and shallots and sauté 1-2 minutes.
3. Add thyme and red wine to deglaze pan, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pan and simmer until wine is almost cooked dry.
4. In bowl, dissolve the corn starch into the warm water. Add beef stock to the pan and simmer until reduced by half. Gradually add corn starch mixture, an ounce or two at a time, until sauce reaches a slightly thickened consistency; it should just coat the back of a spoon.
5. Slice roast and serve with red wine and shallot jus.