Red Velvet Pancakes with Maple Cream Cheese Glaze
- serves 4
Courtesy of Pauline Wick of West Street Willy's Eatery.
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
6 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 ½ cups buttermilk
½ cup sour cream
2 Tbsp red food colouring
4 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbsp butter, meltedMaple Cream Cheese Glaze
2 cups cream cheese
½ cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
zest of 1 lemonAssembly
¼ cup chocolate chips
1. To make the pancake batter, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, and cocoa powder into the bowl of a stand mixer.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, sour cream, red food colouring, vanilla extract, and melted butter until fully combined.
3. Slowly stir wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, then mix on low speed until incorporated but not entirely smooth.
4. Let batter rest for at least 10 minutes, or until bubbles start to appear and batter starts to rise.Maple Cream Cheese Glaze
1. While the batter rests, blend together cream cheese, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and lemon zest in a food processor or blender until smooth and creamy.Assembly
1. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat; ladle pancake batter into the pan to create 4-inch circles.
2. Sprinkle chocolate chips onto pancakes, then cook for 2-3 minutes, or until pancakes start to bubble. Flip pancakes and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes, or until pancakes spring back in the centre when pressed. Repeat process with remaining batter.
3. Serve 3 pancakes to a plate and garnish pancakes with powdered sugar, whipped cream, chocolate sauce, any remaining chocolate chips, and a drizzle of cream cheese glaze.