Red Wine Pot Roast
- prep time25 min
- total time 275 min
- serves 12
Indulge in a beautiful beef chuck roast, served alongside tender potatoes and vegetables with fresh herbs.
3 Tbsp olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 (4- to 5-lb) beef chuck roast
2 Tbsp tomato paste
3 stalks celery, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 onions, diced
2 cups red wine
2 cups beef broth
¼ cup sweet orange marmalade
5 red potatoes, quartered
4 carrots, cut on the diagonal into 1-inch chunks
4 parsnips, peeled and cut on diagonal into 1-inch chunks
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1. Preheat the oven to 275ºF.
2. Heat the olive oil in a heavy ovenproof pot (with a lid) over high heat. Salt and pepper both sides of the roast, then sear it for about a minute on one side and a minute on the other side. Remove the meat to a plate.
3. Reduce the heat to medium high and add the tomato paste, celery, garlic and onions. Stir it around and cook until the vegetables start to soften and the tomato paste releases its flavor, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour in the glorious wine, then stir and scrape the pot to get up all the browned bits on the bottom. Pour in the broth, then stir in the marmalade.
4. Return the meat to the pot and top it all off with the potatoes, carrots, parsnips, rosemary and thyme. Push the veggies and herbs into the liquid, then put the lid on the pot, transfer to the oven and roast until the meat is fork-tender, 3 to 4 hours. (Mmmm. The liquid becomes something magical.)
5. Transfer the roast to a serving dish (if it falls apart that's a good sign!) and place the vegetables all around it, then spoon on as much sauce from the pot as you'd like. Total, unmistakable, comfort food.
For a 3-pound roast, plan on 3 hours.