Ricardo's Pumpkin Pie
- prep time25 min
- total time 60 min
- serves 8
Courtesy of RICARDO.
1 ¼ cups (175 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp (30 mL) sugar
¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
½ cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
¼ cup (60 mL) 2% plain yogurtFilling
1 tsp (5 mL) cornstarch
½ tsp (2.5 mL) ground cinnamon
¼ tsp (1 mL) ground nutmeg
1 ½ cups (375 mL) canned pumpkin purée
1 can (10 oz/300 mL) sweetened condensed milk
½ cup (125 mL) 35% heavy cream
2 Tbsp (30 mL) icing sugar
1. In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Add the butter and pulse for a few seconds at a time until the mixture forms coarse crumbs. Add the yogurt and pulse until the dough begins to form. Remove from the food processor and shape it into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. With the rack in the lowest position, preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
3. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough. Line into a 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate. Cut the excess dough to ½ inch (1 cm) from the edge of the pie plate. Fold over the edge of the dough to form a double crust. Scallop the edge. Set aside.Filling
1. In a bowl, combine the cornstarch and spices. Whisk in the eggs. Whisk in the pumpkin purée and sweetened condensed milk. Stir until smooth and then pour into the pie crust.
2. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the filling is set in the centre. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
3. In a bowl, whip the heavy cream with the sugar until stiff peaks form. With a pastry bag fitted with a star tip, pipe the whipped cream along the outer edge of the pie or garnish each individual slice as desired.