Rice and Lentil Pilaf with Caramelized Onions
- prep time1 min
- total time 90 min
- serves 6
Prepare this delicious flavoured rice to pair with a thick slice of meat or fish.
1 cup lentils, green, or, brown
2 Tbsp oil, olive
2 cup onion, spanish, sliced
2 cup onion, sliced, white
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp cumin, ground
½ tsp salt
½ tsp paprika
¼ tsp pepper
1 ½ cup rice, basmati
3 cup stock, vegetable
2 Tbsp lemon, juice
2 cup tomato, cherry, quartered
⅓ cup parsley, Italian, finely, chopped
1. In saucepan of boiling salted water, cover and cook lentils just until tender, about 35 minutes.
2. Drain and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, in Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat; cook onions and sugar, covered and stirring often for 10 minutes.
4. Uncover and cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
5. Stir in cumin, salt, paprika and pepper; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes to mellow spices.
6. Stir in rice; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
7. Pour in stock and lemon juice.
8. Bring to boil over medium-high heat; cover and reduce heat to low.
9. Simmer until most of stock is absorbed and rice is almost tender, about 15 minutes.
10. Using fork gently stir in lentils so as not to break grains.
11. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until rice and lentils are tender and stock is absorbed.
12. Gently stir in tomatoes and half of the parsley.
13. Transfer to warmed serving dish; sprinkle with remaining parsley.