Roast Salmon with Florida Grapefruit and Quinoa Salad
- prep time15 min
- total time 65 min
- serves 6
This delectable dish features salmon topped with an optional sesame brittle and is served with a quinoa, grapefruit and veggie-packed salad.
1 Florida ruby red grapefruit, halved and sliced
1 lemon, sliced
½ head fresh fennel, thinly sliced
1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
4 fresh basil leaves
4 sprigs fresh cilantro
kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
6 fillets skinless centre-cut salmon
Sesame Brittle (optional)Sesame Brittle (Optional)
3 Tbsp (45 mL) granulated sugar
½ tsp (2 mL) kosher salt
¼ tsp (1 mL) each ground fennel and coriander
1 cup (250 mL) sesame seedsQuinoa Salad
1 Florida ruby red grapefruit, scrubbed
¼ cup (60 mL) extra virgin olive oil
8 thin slices fresh ginger
¾ cup (175 mL) quinoa, rinsed
1 ½ cups (375 mL) water
½ tsp (2 mL) salt
3 Tbsp (45 mL) grapefruit juice
1 Tbsp (15 mL) white wine vinegar
2 tsp (10 mL) liquid honey
2 cups (500 mL) baby arugula
2 carrots, finely diced
2 green onions, sliced
1 small jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
¼ cup (60 mL) fresh cilantro leaves
1. Meanwhile, spread grapefruit, lemon, fennel, jalapeno, basil and cilantro onto parchment paper lined baking sheet. Top with fillets and season with salt and pepper. Roast in preheated 275ºF (135ºC) until tip of knife inserted in salmon slides easily through and fillet is slightly opaque, 20 minutes.
2. Spoon quinoa salad onto plate and top with salmon to serve. Drizzle with any remaining oil and garnish with Sesame Brittle, if using.Sesame Brittle (Optional)
1. To make sesame brittle, whisk 1 egg white until foamy. Whisk in 3 tbsp (45 mL) granulated sugar, 1/2 tsp (2 mL) kosher salt, 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each ground fennel and coriander. Stir in 1 cup (250 mL) sesame seeds to coat.
2. Spoon mixture onto parchment paper lined baking sheet in clumps. Bake in preheated 350ºF (180ºC) oven, stirring occasionally until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool and break into bite size pieces.Quinoa Salad
1. Using a vegetable peeler, remove outer peel from grapefruit and place in small saucepan. Remove outer pith and cut segments from grapefruit; set aside. Add oil and ginger to saucepan. Warm over medium heat until oil starts to bubble, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 30 minutes. Strain and reserve oil.
2. Combine quinoa, water and salt in saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer and cook, uncovered for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with fork into a large bowl.
3. Whisk together grapefruit juice, vinegar, honey and 3 Tbsp (45 mL) of the reserved oil. Add to quinoa and season with salt and pepper. Stir in arugula, carrots, onions, jalapeno and cilantro. Fold in reserved grapefruit segments; set aside.