Roasted Albacore Tuna with "Smoked" Autumn Squash Purée
- serves 8
Courtesy of Chef Jonathan Chovancek for Bittered Sling Extracts.
1 ½ kg albacore tuna
¼ cup Bittered Sling Lem-Marrakech bitters
1 cup + 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 medium Hubbard squash
1 small onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
¼ cup Bittered Sling Moondog Aromatic bitters
crispy Delicata squash rings, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Wash the Hubbard squash well and cut it in half. Remove the seeds and place the squash cut side-down on a roasting pan and cook for 60-90 minutes. The squash is done when it is soft like room temperature butter. Allow to cool to room temperature and remove the skin.
2. Meanwhile, sauté the onions and garlic with generous amounts of sea salt in 1 cup of butter. Reserve
3. Once melted, add the Moondog bitters and remove from the heat. Allow to cool to room temperature.
4. In a blender, purée the squash with the Moondog onion butter until smooth. Adjust seasoning with sea salt and more bitters.
5. In a sauté pan, melt the remaining butter. Season the tuna with sea salt and pan roast all sides briefly. Baste with the Lem-Marrakech bitters.
6. Remove the fish to a serving plate and pour the Lem-Marrakech butter over the fish. Serve warm on top of the squash purée and garnish with Delicata squash chips (slice them thin, season with salt and dehydrate until crispy!).