1 large head of cauliflower, cut into large florets
2 Tbsp (30 mL) olive oil (or other cooking oil)
salt to taste
pepper to taste
⅓ cup (75 mL) sliced almonds, toasted
1 Tbsp (15 mL) white wine vinegar
3 Tbsp (45 mL) dried currants
2 Tbsp (30 mL) capers, soaked in water for 10 minutes, rinsed and drained
8 cups (2 L) mixed greens
2 whole avocados, pitted, peeled and sliced
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC).
2. In large bowl, toss cauliflower florets with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread on 2 parchment paper–lined baking sheets and roast for 40 minutes, stirring half-way through, until tender.
3. Meanwhile, in small skillet over medium heat, toast almonds, being careful not to burn. Remove from pan and set aside.
4. In small bowl, pour white wine vinegar over currants. Set aside.
5. Using paper towel, dry capers thoroughly.
6. In small skillet over high heat, melt enough coconut oil to coat bottom of pan. Carefully add capers to skillet, taking care not to be spattered with hot oil. Fry capers, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Remove capers to paper towel–lined plate.
7. To serve, top mixed greens with roasted cauliflower, toasted almonds, currants, capers and sliced avocados.