Roasted Ocean Trout with Tandoori Spices
- serves 4
2 ocean trout filets, about 1/5 lb each
2 tsp toasted cumin seeds (10 ml)
1 tsp crushed dry chilies (5 ml)
2 large cloves garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp chopped fresh ginger (30 ml)
2 tsp garum marsala (10 ml)
2 tsp coriander seed (10 ml)
1 tsp cayenne pepper (5 ml)
2 Tbsp paprika (30 ml)
½ cup vegetable oil (125 ml)
Coarse salt and freshly cracked black pepper
Clarified butter, for brushing
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Rinse the trout and pat dry with paper towels. With a sharp paring knife, score the fish on each side.
3. Put the cumin, chillies, garlic, ginger, garum marsala, coriander seed, cayenne, and paprika in a mortar and grind with a pestle, or grind in a spice grinder. Transfer mixture to a bowl. Add the oil and blend until smooth.
4. Pour this marinade over the trout filets, rubbing all over to coat well. Put in the refrigerator for 3 hours.
5. Brush a rack with clarified butter or vegetable oil and put it on a baking tray. Brush the trout with clarified butter. Put it on the rack and roast approximately 20 minutes or until it is just cooked through.