Salmon Lox Sandwich
- serves 8-12
Cured salmon, homemade dill cream cheese, sliced cucumebrs and a garnish of fresh dill make this sandwich one to remember.
1 side salmon, pin boned, skin on
3 cup brown sugar
1 ½ cup kosher salt
3 Tbsp pink peppercorns, crushed
1 bunch dill, picked and washed, fronds and stems reserved separately
Dill Cream Cheese (see recipe)
100 g capers, rinsed and soaked in cold water
1 small red onion, sliced and soaked in cold water in refrigerator overnight
Pickling Liquid (see recipe)
1 cucumber, sliced
bread rolls of your choiceDill Cream Cheese
125 g plain cream cheese
200 mL whipping cream
juice of 1 lemonPickling Liquid
2 cup white vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 pinch salt
¼ cup water
1. In a bowl, mix brown sugar, salt, 1 tbsp of crush pink peppercorns, and chopped dill stems.
2. Place salmon on tray, skin side down. Cover salmon completely with cure mix, and place in refrigerator from 15-18 hours, depending on size.
3. Remove salmon from refrigerator and rinse off cure mix under cold water. Pat dry with paper towel and return salmon to clean tray.
4. Chop ¾ of dill fronds with remaining pink peppercorns, and cover the flesh of the salmon.
5. Tightly wrap salmon in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.Dill Cream Cheese
1. In a bowl, whisk cream cheese, whipping cream, lemon juice. Chop remaining dill fronds and add to mixture. Refrigerate until needed.Pickling Liquid
1. Over medium-high heat, dissolve sugar and salt in white vinegar and water. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Can be stored in refrigerator until needed.
2. Sandwich Assembly: Slice fresh bread roll in half and spread dill cream cheese mixture on bottom half of loaf. Place thinly sliced cured salmon on cream cheese, and top with red onion and capers. Dip cucumber in pickling liquid and place on sandwich. Garnish with fresh dill fronds or cress. Serve with lemon wedge.