Salsa Scalloped Potatoes
- prep time15 min
- total time 60 min
- serves 5
Scalloped potaotes will all the fixin's! Skip the crunchy nachos and try this tasty dish, you'll love the soft warmth of the potatoes.
Courtesy of the Dairy Farmers of Canada.
1 ½ lb(s) (750 g) potatoes (about 4 medium)
⅔ cup (160 mL) diced peppers (red, green or both)
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp (30 mL) butter
3 Tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
1 ½ cup (375 mL) milk
1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin (optional)
1 ½ cup (375 mL) grated Canadian Monterey Jack cheese
¼ cup (50 mL) well-drained salsa sauce (mild or medium)
¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Butter a 2 qt (2 L) baking dish; set aside.
2. Peel and thinly slice potatoes, then place in a microwavable casserole dish and cover. Microwave potatoes on High for 7 minutes, stirring once; set aside.
3. In the bottom of the buttered baking dish, layer half of each of the potatoes, peppers and green onions. Repeat layers; set aside.
4. In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Add flour, blending well. Add milk and cumin and cook over medium-high heat, stirring until thickened. Whisk in 1 cup (250 mL) of grated cheese until smooth. Stir in salsa.
5. Pour milk mixture over potatoes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 35 minutes or until potatoes are tender and the top is bubbly and golden.