San Marzano Chicken with Oregano and Basil
- serves 4
An Italian chicken and pasta dish, using San Marzano tomatoes and topped with herbs. Delicious!
2 large boneless chicken breasts
1 splash vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 heads garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 28-oz can of San Marzano tomatoes
2 Tbsp dried oregano
2 bay leaves
1 pinch salt
1 large bunch of fresh basil, chopped
1 454g box of Farfalle pasta (or your favourite), cooked and drained
1. Bring a large pot of water to the boil for pasta.
2. Match your favourite frying pan or skillet with a tight fitting lid and medium high heat. Splash and swirl in enough vegetable oil to lightly film the bottom of the pan. Add the chicken breasts; searing the first side until its golden brown and crusty, 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Reduce the heat to medium and remove the chicken breasts, placing them on a plate. Add the onion and garlic to the pan. Sauté for a few moments. Add the tomatoes, dried oregano and bay leaves. Adjust your heat to bring the works to a slow, steady simmer, not a rapid boil.
4. Return the chicken to the pan, cover tightly and simmer until the meat is cooked through and delicious, 10 to 15 minutes. Turn the breasts once, allowing the tomato flavours to fully permeate from all sides.
5. Meanwhile cook the pasta. Cut the chicken into large chunks and toss with the sauce, pasta and basil.