1. Filling :In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Set aside until ready to use.
1. Crust: Preheat oven to 350˚F.
2. In a large bowl, combine flours and salt. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles small peas.
3. Add shortening and stir until chunks of shortening are dispersed throughout. Set aside.
4. In a liquid measuring cup, combine egg and vinegar. Fill measuring cup with cold water until it reaches the 1/2-cup mark. Whisk to combine.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and, using a pastry cutter, work as little as possible just to combine. Divide mixture in half and form two equal balls (Don’t overwork the pastry.)
6. On a flour-dusted work surface, roll out one portion of dough into a circle 11 inches in diameter.
7. Roll out remaining dough into a 10-inch circle. Using a sharp knife, cut some artistic air vents in centre.
8. Pour prepared filling into bottom pie shell. Top with second crust. Trim overhanging dough and crimp edges to seal.
9. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 300˚F and bake for another 45 to 60 minutes, until filling is thick and bubbly in the middle and crust is golden brown.
Tips and Substitutions
This pie can be frozen and baked later. If baking from frozen, preheat oven to 350°F and bake for 60 minutes.
Source and Credits
Recipe courtesy of Tall Grass Prairie Bread Company and Grass Roots Kitchen, Winnipeg Cooks © 2015 Figure 1 Publishing Inc.