Sausage Apple Sage Pie
- prep time10 min
- total time 90 min
- serves 6 - 8
Courtesy of Tovah Shantz of Shuswap Pie Company.
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 lb(s) English banger sausage meat, cut into 1-inch slabs
3 large white onions, chopped into 1/4-inch cubes
3 large cooking apples, peeled, cored and cut into 8 pieces
¼ cup sage, freshly chopped
⅛ cup grainy mustard
¼ cup sour cream
1 prepared pie shell
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF (177ºC).
2. In a large deep pot, heat oil over medium heat until it starts to thin out.
3. Swirl oil to coat the bottom of the pot and lay sausage meat in the hot oil.
4. Sear sausage for 7 minutes, until browned.
5. Carefully flip sausage and continue searing for 5 minutes, until browned.
6. Carefully remove slabs of sausage from the pot , keeping slabs intact and place sausage in a bowl to rest.
7. Lower heat to low and add onions to the pot; stir while cooking for 2 minutes, until meat residue cooks off.
8. Place lid on the pot and raise heat to medium, cooking for an additional 5 to 7 minutes, or until onions are soft.
9. Return sausage to the pot and begin to break sausage up into small chunks.
10. Stir until everything is thoroughly combined and raise heat to medium, cooking for 10 to 15 minutes.
11. Add chopped apples to the pot and stir continuously, cooking for 5 minutes until apples begin to soften.
12. Remove pot from heat and add chopped sage, grainy mustard, and sour cream; stir until combined.
13. Cool mixture thoroughly and pour filling into a pre-made pie shell.
14. Bake pie for 45 to 60 minutes, or until pie shell is browned.