Sausage-Stuffed Mushroom Caps
- serves 20
½ lb(s) spicy sausage meat (8oz)
½ lb(s) red pepper, diced very finely
½ yellow pepper, iced very finely
½ cup red onion, finely chopped (125ml)
2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped (30ml)
1 Tbsp fresh chives, minced (15ml)
½ cup soft cream cheese, room temperature (125ml)
Salt and pepper to taste
20 medium medium-sized button mushrooms, cleaned with stems removed
1 Tbsp olive oil (15ml)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C)
2. Warm a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the sausage meat to the skillet and allow it to brown for 3 minutes. Add the peppers and onions to the pan and continue to cook until the sausage is brown on the outside but still slightly pink.
3. Remove the skillet from the heat and pour the mixture in a fine mesh sieve set over a bowl, to allow the mixture to drain and cool. Discard the bowl of fat drippings.
4. Once the meat has cooled, place it in a clean bowl and stir in the basil, chives and cream cheese stir until the mixture evenly combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Place the mushroom caps in a large bowl and toss with olive oil and salt and pepper. Arrange mushroom caps in a non stick baking pan round side down. Spoon approximately 2 teaspoons (10ml) of the sausage mixture into each cap.
6. Put mushroom caps into the preheated oven for 10 minutes or until the mushrooms are golden brown.
7. Remove caps from oven and place them on a paper towel lined baking tray to remove any excess fat. Allow to cool slightly before serving.