Sausage-Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- prep time15 min
- total time 45 min
- serves 8
These zucchini boats are filled with two kinds of sausage, onion, garlic, tomatoes, two kinds of cheese and breadcrumbs.
4 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
1 Tbsp olive oil
8 oz sweet loose Italian sausage
8 oz hot loose Italian sausage
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small onion, chopped
2 vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
½ cup Parmesan, finely grated
½ cup mozzarella, shaved
¼ cup breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
2. With a teaspoon, scoop out the flesh from the interior of the zucchini, so they resemble boats. Place the zucchini boats in a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish. Chop the zucchini flesh and set aside.
3. In a medium saute pan over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and let heat through. Add the sweet and the hot Italian sausage, and cook for 4 minutes. Add the garlic, onion, chopped zucchini flesh, tomatoes and some salt and pepper. Cook until softened, about 4 minutes.
4. In a medium bowl, add the Parmesan, mozzarella, breadcrumbs and parsley; mix to combine.
5. Spoon in and mound the sausage mixture into the zucchini boats. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over top. Place in oven and bake until golden on top, 20 minutes.