Scallops and Minty Peas
- prep time15 min
- total time 30 min
- serves 2
Succulent scallops with a garlic and chilli marinade served with crushed minty peas.
6 handfuls of fresh peas (podded or frozen)
2 Tbsp crème fraiche
small bunch of mint leaves
small bunch of sorrel leaves
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon, zested and cut up for serving
sea salt and freshly ground pepperScallops
2 large cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
½ large red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
few springs of flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
zest and juice of a lemon
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
splash of white wine
8 – 10 scallops – ready prepared by your fishmonger, but ask to keep the shells
2 slices of sourdough bread to mop up any sauce
1. Boil a pan of water, cook the peas for only a couple of minutes if they are fresh, drain and then using a hand blender blitz them into a chunky puree.
2. Add the crème fraiche, mint and sorrel leaves and about a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and blitz again.
3. Add the lemon zest, season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper, stir and keep warm on the stove while you prepare the scallops.Scallops
1. Make the marinade for the scallops by mixing the crushed garlic, chopped red chilli, parsley, zest and juice of a lemon with the olive oil and a splash of white wine.
2. Toss the scallops in the marinade very quickly then place each scallop back in to the curved side of its shell and spoon over the marinade.
3. Carefully place the scallop shells onto a hot bbq and place the other side of the shell on top – the flat side.
4. Allow them to cook for about 3 minutes, then turn them over for a further 2 minutes.
5. When they are cooked, carefully remove the shells, place the open halves with the scallops onto a platter, spoon a little of the warm minty peas onto each shell and serve with slices of sourdough bread to mop up any of the delicious marinade and wedges of lemon on the platter.