Semolina and Sun-Dried Tomato Waffle-Pizzas
- prep time105 min
- total time 175 min
- serves 6 - 8
Makes 6-8 waffle-pizzas.
1 ¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour or whole wheat flour
¾ cup semolina flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp sugar
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
½ tsp salt
4 - 5 sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil, cut into small dice (about 1/4 cup)
½ cup grated goat Parmesan or regular Parmesan
1 ¾ cups milk
¼ cup olive oil
Cooking sprayPizza Build
Pizza Sauce, recipe follows
1 small red onion, sliced, optional
½ cup sliced black olives, optional
¼ cup diced roasted red peppers, optional
2 cups broccoli florets, blanched, optional
2 cups shredded mozzarella
⅓ cup shredded goat milk Cheddar
1 ½ cups Kale Chips, recipe follows
1 ½ cups sweet potato chipsPizza Sauce
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, cut into small dice (about 3/4 cup)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp chopped fresh oregano
1 (14-oz) can tomato sauce
1 (28-oz) can diced tomatoes
1 tsp honey
2 Tbsp thinly sliced (chiffonade) fresh basil
1 Tbsp butter
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepperKale Chips
1 bunch kale, stems removed, leaves cut into bite-size pieces
3 Tbsp olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat an 8-inch round waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions.
2. In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat pastry flour, semolina flour, baking powder, sugar, Italian seasoning, salt, sun-dried tomatoes and Parmesan. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs until light and fluffy. Add the milk and olive oil; whisk to combine. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients. Stir until just combined; overmixing will make the waffles tough. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes or up to 1 hour.
3. Spray the waffle iron with cooking spray and fill with a heaping 8-ounce ladleful of the batter. Cook until golden brown and crispy, 4 to 5 minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter.Pizza Build
1. Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
2. Place the waffles on a cooling rack set into a baking sheet. Spread 1/4 cup of the pizza sauce onto each waffle. Top with onions, olives, peppers, broccoli, or any combination thereof. Sprinkle with the mozzarella and cheddar. Transfer to the oven and cook until the cheese is melted, about 8 minutes. Top each waffle-pizza with kale chips and sweet potato chips just before serving.Pizza Sauce
1. Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until soft and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, oregano, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and honey, and stir to blend. Lower the heat and simmer until the sauce thickens and reduces by a third, about 45 minutes.
2. Remove the sauce from the heat and blend until smooth using an immersion blender. Stir in the basil and butter. Season with salt and pepper.Kale Chips
1. Preheat the oven to 250ºF.
2. To a large bowl, add the kale and olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Spread the kale in an even layer on a wire rack-lined baking sheet. Transfer to the oven and bake until crisp, about 30 minutes, tossing halfway through.